The Casapulla Story
Luigi Casapulla was an Italian immigrant with a great vision and a greater work ethic. Luigi and his wife Anna (Zampini) had nine children. In 1956, Luigi bought a neighborhood grocery store in Elsmere, DE. Since Luigi was working two jobs, he enlisted the help of his children. About the same time, chain grocery stores were coming to Delaware and Luigi knew he would need to do something in order to compete. It was then he added subs & steaks. Through the years, all nine children and all twelve of his grandchildren have worked in the business. In fact, over 50 years later, three of his children (Andrew, Louie & Jeanne), ten of his grandchildren and even his great grandchildren are caring on the proud tradition. Sadly, Anna died in 1957 and never saw the success of the business.
In 1980, Luigi opened his second location in Hockessin, DE. Again he had the help of his children and grandchildren. He could be found there every day until his death in 1985. In 1984, Paula LaPenta (Luigi’s granddaughter) and her husband Mike brought the tradition to Sussex County and opened Casapulla’s South . In 1989, Joseph (Luigi’s grandson) opened Casapulla’s Glasgow and 1992, David (another grandson) opened Casapulla’s on Rt. 202.
In June of 1999, the Hockessin property was sold. Although it was a hard decision, it allowed Rose, Phil. Joe and Betty (Luigi’s children) to join their sisters, Vee and Marion, in a much deserved retirement. In March of 2006, Annie (Luigi’s granddaughter) opened Casapulla’s at Red Mill Square, Newark, DE. In May of 2007, Joseph opened his second location in Middletown, DE.